Reminiscent of the greatest 90's RomComs!
Gallery Books (July 5, 2022)
What would you do if your dream man turned out to be real? When law grad Cass Walker wakes up after surviving a car accident, she is flooded with memories of a man named Devin. The only problem? Devin—as confirmed by family, friends, and doctors—doesn’t exist. Everything about him, from his coffee-brown eyes to the slightly crooked angle of his pinkie to his high-wattage charm, is a figment of Cass’s coma-addled imagination. Still, she can’t get him out of her head. So when she happens upon the real Devin a year later in a Cleveland flower shop, she’s completely shocked. Even more surprising is that Devin actually believes her story, and despite his protective younger brother’s doubts, they soon embark on a real-life romance. With her dream man by her side and a new job at a prestigious law firm, Cass’s future seems perfect. But fate might have other plans... From the beloved author of Shipped comes a magical and witty romantic comedy that explores what happens when our dreams come true—even when they’re not the ones we expect.
Kristin and Val are both major fans of Angie Hockman. Val is even a proud member of Hockman’s street team! A natural fit for Val, and a great opportunity to spread the love for Hockman’s books. Naturally, K and V had to do a buddy-read of her newest romance, Dream On. Here’s all the buzz…
Kristin, tell us your initial thoughts about Dream On
Dream on by Angie Hockman was such a delightful read! It was full of those swoony moments between two people that are so smitten with each other, that readers will squeal. I had Dream on in my TBR pile as soon as I heard Angie Hockman was writing another book. Honestly, I loved her debut book “Shipped” so much that I didn’t care what Dream on would be about, I knew it would be gold. Going into this without reading the synopsis was so much fun and it’s partly why I was hooked right after the first chapter.
Val, how did you feel when Cass met her coma-boyfriend in real life?
The romantic in me *swooned*. The skeptic Jersey girl in me thought, “Okay, what gives?! This can’t be happening!” If this happened to me IRL I’d like to think I’d go with it, arms and heart wide open, and dive in head first. However, my brain would probably go into overdrive and do a remote override of my nervous system, filling me with anxiety and overthinking and I’d short circuit. I loved living vicariously through Cass, though!
Why will romance readers love this book?
- The Cute Moments. There are some really unassuming cute moments in this book that will make you sigh with an “aww”.
- The possibility! Cass wakes up with memories of a boyfriend that no one knows, and then she finds him! The possibility that Cass and Devin’s relationship could be fate, destiny, or something entirely magical made me flip page after page desperate for the answer.
- The Grand Gesture. All of my favorite rom-coms have that grand gesture – you know, the scenes that make you grin from ear to ear, or those scenes that make your cheeks rosy red and you can feel the heat coming from your face. The grand gesture in this book seemingly ties everything together, making the end worth the wait.
- Dream On gives off vibes from some of the best romance movies from the 90’s! (While You Were Sleeping being one of my personal favorites.)
- There’s more than just romantic love in this story. Cass has a wonderful bond with her best friend. Devin and his brother have a more complicated but true sibling love. These relationships can be both relatable and enviable at times.
- The small gestures! There are such minor moments in this book while their relationship is building that show he truly sees her. He eases her life without her even asking. It’s beautiful.
Kristin, if you were going to be dropped into your favorite rom-com movie, which would it be? Who would you choose to play you if you were a character in a rom-com? Flowers play a big role in this novel. What would your ideal bouquet consist of?
Actually, I’d go into Sandra Bullock’s roll in “Hope Floats”. My favorite romance movie of all-time. Check it out if you haven’t seen it! Funny enough, I’d choose Sandra to play me too. haha! I just adore her.
My personal bouquet would be much like my wedding bouquet. Red dahlias, red roses, red ranunculus, and black cala lilies. Although this book has me thinking I should add eucalyptus too. ?
Val’s Final Thoughts
I’d love to be dropped into You’ve Got Mail. It’s my favorite. Tom Hanks made me feel seen when he said, “Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.” That, to me, is the epitome of romance. Seems like one of the characters in “Dream On” is on that level, too. Can’t wait for readers to find out. My favorite bouquet would include yellow roses, sunflowers, baby’s breath, and eucalyptus. Or Pencils. ❤
“Dream On” was written in such a way to allow me to ‘view’ the chapters as scenes from a movie, which is a real testament to Angie Hockman’s talent. Each scene makes my imagination spark with excitement about how it would look on a big screen. Romance readers, this one is for us.
Kristin lives in the PNW with her husband, and three kids. She loves to read YA fiction, fantasy, and romance. She’s recently entered the world of “Booktok” on Tiktok, and is having way too much fun following the trends of young folks. The only shows she watches are re-runs, and if she’s not reading a book she’s listening to one.